Search for content in message boards

Renick Family

Posted: 1412339398000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Renick
Hello

I've just started looking into my family history - my great grandmother was born Lily Renick in 1900 in Sculcoates. Her father was names JW Renick as was a boiler maker.

Does that surname ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks.

Re: Renick Family

Posted: 1412417470000
the 1911 census is signed by James William RENNICK

1911 England Census about Lily Rennick
Name: Lily Rennick
Age in 1911: 11
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
Relation to Head: Daughter
Birth Place: Hull, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Sculcoates
County/Island: Yorkshire-East Riding
Street address: 7 Edgar Terrace, Arundle Street Holderness Road Hull
Registration district: Sculcoates
Registration District Number: 521
Sub-registration district: Drypool
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Piece: 28668
Household Members:
Name Age
J W Rennick 40
Elizabeth Rennick 36
Lear Rennick 15
James William Rennick 13
Lily Rennick 11
Doris Rennick 8
Emily Rennick 7
Charles Rennick 4
Edith Annie Rennick 10/

Posted: 1412434579000
Surnames: Renick Craven
Stephanie,

Best place to get hard evidence is the certificates for Births, Marriages and Deaths.

Freebmd has an index for the civil registration of Births Marriage and Deaths (England and Wales) from July 1837.
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Certificates can be bought from the GRO for £9.25.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The 1911 census quoted by Sumi I have attached as you may be using Rootsweb and not have a subscription to a site which provides such.
Note that to youngest child has "club feet".

The birth certificate of any child should give you the name of its mother.
In theory you should easily be able to locate the marriage of James W RENNICK to an Elizabeth in about 1894 but I don't see it.

The name can likely be spelt in various ways. For example this will be the birth of the daughter Doris.
Births Sep 1902
RENICK Doris Sculcoates 9d 222
and Lily
Births Mar 1900
Renick Lily Sculcoates 9d 205

Given the ages I would have expected JW and Elizabeth to have had children after 1911 and these would give the maiden name of the mother but I can't see any in Sculcoates.

I see that there are a few Trees on Ancestry with these people and some have JW's wife as Elizabeth CRAVEN but none show a marriage nor have any parents for Elizabeth so I'm dubious about whether she was called CRAVEN. A birth certificate may solve the issue.

Bryan
Attachments:

Posted: 1412435943000
Looks like the family were still in Arundel Street in 1927 as mentioned in this article from the Hull Daily Mail of 23 March 1927.

Bryan
Attachments:

Posted: 1412439283000
I can not find any registration of the eldest child Leah Renick in Wakefield, however there is a registration of a Leah Renick Bates in 1896 at Wakefield?.

Posted: 1412503525000
Edited: 1412504729000
Surnames: Craven Bates Renick
Well done John.

This is the birth which John found and that "cracks the case".
Births Mar qtr 1896
BATES Leah Renick Wakefield 9c 66

This is probably the birth of the second child.
Births Sep qtr 1897
RENICK James William Sculcoates 9d 185

With the first child maybe being called Leah Renick BATES was she illegitimate and the parents married after. Note that if Elizabeth was called CRAVEN (say) at birth then married a man called BATES then a second marriage would be using her married name but the children's birth certificate would still show her maiden name and there would be no mention of her first marriage name. Might be why the marriage records are elusive.

This could be a marriage of an Elizabeth BATES to Amos BATES but if Elizabeth had been born in 1873/74 then she would be very young. Legally possible but unlikely. Maybe she lied about her age in the censuses.
Marriages Dec qtr 1887
BATES Amos Wakefield 9c 84
CRAVEN Elizabeth Wakefield 9c 84
EXLEY Henry Wakefield 9c 84
HEBDEN Sophia Wakefield 9c 84

The 1891 census seems to show that Amos did marry Elizabeth who was (in 1891) age 21 and they had a daughter called Eva age 2.
In 1901 Amos is shown to be married and is living with his mother with his daughter Eva but without his wife. So I think Elizabeth married Amos then left him to live with RENICK but may have never married again as that would be bigamy - unless she waited until Amos died.

Bryan
Attachments:

Posted: 1419196295000
Lily Rennick was my grandfather's sister.

Posted: 1419198349000
James W Renick born 1897 Hull was my grandfather. On his birth certificate his mother's name is shown as Elizabeth CRAVEN.

Posted: 1419202004000
Hi Linda - wow, that's amazing. Lily Renick was my great grandmother.

Posted: 1419204342000
Hi Stephanie - Have you any photos of the Renick family. My Grandad James died before I was born so I never met any of the Renick's. Regards
per page

Find a board about a specific topic